SCID Angels is proud to offer the Ray Ballard Travel Scholarship Program for SCID patients and/or SCID families who are U.S. residents wishing to attend a SCID meeting or event in the U.S. or who need to travel to a medical treatment long-term treatment follow-up appointment within the U.S. the costs for which are not covered by a clinical trial or insurance.
Ray was 25 years old when he lost his courageous battle in 2019 to Severe Combined Immune Deficiency. Those who had the honor of meeting Ray know that he was made of hope, inspiration, resiliency and an unforgettable strength. SCID provided many challenges for Ray, especially during his last three years, but he never let that stop him from truly living.
This scholarship may provide SCID patients and families assistance with their travel to/from a meeting or event where educational information regarding SCID will be presented. Some of our fondest memories of Ray are from previous SCID conferences or IDF meetings, which he frequently attended, and where he’d be known to dance the night away.
Additionally, this scholarship may provide assistance to SCID patients and families who need to travel for a long-term medical treatment follow-up appointment, the costs for which are not covered by a clinical trial or insurance. This scholarship is not intended for frequent follow up visits such as those for IgG infusions.
Anyone wishing to make a contribution to the Ray Ballard SCID Travel Scholarship Fund may do so now by clicking the Donate button below or by writing a check payable to SCID, Angels for Life Foundation and mailing their contribution to:
Ray Ballard Travel Scholarship Fund
C/O SCID Angels for Life Foundation
2424 Heritage Lakes Court
Lakeland, FL 33803
Those interested in applying for a Ray Ballard Travel Scholarship are asked to complete the application below. Please allow up to 4 weeks to hear about all funding requests and please know that all requests are for travel within the United States and are for U.S. citizens only. Please email any questions to Heather@SCIDAngelsforlife.com.
Who may apply?
- Applicants must have a verified SCID diagnosis, or a child with a SCID diagnosis, and may be asked to provide proof of diagnosis
- Applicants must reside in the United States
- Applicants must not have other funding sources for the same travel costs such as a clinical trial subsidy, insurance coverage, or another scholarship
What type of events may I attend?
- You may apply to attend an educational event such as a SCID Conference or Patient Conference where educational information regarding SCID will be presented
- You may apply to travel to a long-term medical treatment follow up appointment for SCID treatment